Thursday, January 08, 2009

Gaza - What else?

Hmm. So there are various sides to this story. Who knew?

I've just come back from visiting one of my favourite columnists - Thomas L. Friedman (that's the wonderful thing about the net - he didn't even know I was there), who put the whole thing into interesting perspective in his New York Times op-ed piece The Mideast’s Ground Zero

Mr Friedman is part environmental activist, part economist, part many other things: I recently downloaded podcasts of his book The World Is Flat and listened to all nine hours straight; and when I grow up and make lots of money I intend buying his newest book "Hot, Flat and Crowded" (you'd think the government would zero-rate books, wouldnya? Make them cheap as possible so that they're as accessible as possible. But not a chance - books are as expensive as they can be because there's more tax to be collected that way. Maybe there's an ANC plot to blinker the proletariat by keeping it as uneducated as possible? Now there's a thought...)

Back to Gaza, though: remember the Eagles' line "the more I think about it ol' Billy was right, let's kill al the lawyers, let's kill 'em tonight?"

Maybe if we did that to the religions, kill 'em tonight, we wouldn't need the lawyers, and then we wouldn't haveta kill 'em (the lawyers, I mean).

And Mr Friedman has argued that we fund terrorism by our ridiculous reliance on oil. So maybe the other leg of the cure for Gaza lies in finding a cure for fossil fuels?

Huh?

No comments: